Re: Interrupts and serial ports

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998 dg@bingo.baynet.de wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, W Paul Mills wrote:
>
> > I have my modem and my UPS both connected to serial ports with the same
> > interupt. Seems to work OK. These are both on the same card which was
> > modified (not a lot of fun) to share the interupt. JDR Microdevices
> > sells a 4-port serial board that is supposed to support shared interupts.
>
> OK Paul, but a *normal* standard serial port card has two 16550xx UARTs a
> two connectors. These cards are AFAIK not able to share interupts
> correctly. It works sometimes, when you don't use the corresponding port
> at the same time, but this is not my thing. And if you have a
> AMD-586DX/120 in an old VESA local bus motherboard, it could be
> impossible (like it was for me).

I modified a "standard" board with two 16650's and used it with the standard
linux driver.

> Now for something completely different!
>
> You talk about a JDR Microdevices card with 4 ports. is it supported by
> linux??? How much does it cost??? Because I could use some more ports at a
> communication box at work, which should run Debian, if everything goes
> right.

I would expect it to work, but have not tried it. It is a part no. MCT-4S.
Says that it supports unix shared interrupt mode. Uses standard 16550 chips.

They have a web site at http://www.jdr.com.

I have bought equipment from them for home and work. Good luck
with them over the last 5 or 6 years.

*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *
*   that whoever believes in Him should not perish...    John 3:16  *
* W. Paul Mills          *     Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A.               *
* wpmills@midusa.net     *     http://homepage.midusa.net/~wpmills/ *
* wpmills@sound.net      *     http://www.sound.net/~wpmills/       *
* Bill, I was there several years ago, why would I want to go back? *