Re: Newbie Setting up LPRng

> I installed LPRng on my linux machine using dselect.  How do I set
> this program to print to my Remote HP LaserJet 4 using a JetDirect
> Box?  It's on a Novell Server 4.1.
>
> I never printed on my linux machine, so I don't know if it is setup
> already.

Hi,

I haven't used LPRng, so this message assumes you'll have similar
problems with LPRng as with lpr.

You may have several problems here.  You can check the debian archive
for an email which shows how to set up the /etc/printcap to route
through magicfilter and then out to a network printer.  You need to do
this because you can't use an input filter directly when printing to a
network printer.

old posting:
   http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-user-9712/msg02272.html

Another problem is that the JetDirect box is running with Novell.  I
think you have to choose either lpr or Novell support when setting
up the JetDirect.  I couldn't get my JetDirect to work directly with
win95 machines on the network and debian/solaris lpr, so the win95
machines print to the lp-r printcap entry on a debian machine.  On
debian, this entry is normally used when files are sent to lp, filtered
by magicfilter, and then sent to lp-r (the printer).  For win95, you
don't need the first two steps, so just send the files to the printer.
In win95 set up the printer type for the actual printer and use samba on
the debian machine to export the printer.

If you can't run lpr and novell support on the JetDirect, and you don't
want to change all the machines on the network to print through the
debian box, then I can't help you.  There may be a way to print from
debian to a novell print server, but I don't have any idea how to do it.

Please post if your JetDirect supports lpr and novell concurrently or if
not how you solved the problem.

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee.bradshaw@mindspring.com (preferred)
Next Level Communications    bradshaw@nlc.com