Re: debian learning curve

> 2) It was also noted that:
>    "Newbies also tend to install too much in the initial dselect menu
> causing a lot of time in conflict resolution."

The first time I installed debian I installed way to much. I am hardly
a Linux newbie. I found that it was a problem with the individual
packages. There are a bunch of packages (in 1.2) that were listed as
"required" but weren't really. There are also some dependecies that
bug me. Some of the mime stuff complains if you don't install a
newsserver and newsreader. I don't want news on my local machine right
now, but I do want mime for email.

Now I have not done a clean install of Debian so I don't know if this
is still the case. But before Debian 2.0 is released I hope that some
of the developers go through a complete install once or twice to
insure that the default install is a fairly minimal install. I think
it would be far easier for a newbie to run dselect several times to
install all the packages they need. Then to run dselect several times
to remove all the packages they don't need. For some of us HD space is
a premium.

--
Stephen Gregory