A Problem Booting with Rescue Disk

I am trying to install Debian for the first time.  When I try to
boot the Rescue Disk, it stops and stalls at the Hard Disk Partition
Check.  That is while booting you will have something that looks like:

Partition Check.
hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
hdb: hdb1 hdb2 hdb3

and then it should continue booting.  I get:

Partition Check.
hda:

And it stalls.  I have redhat and slackware on this same computer,
and they boot fine, so I know there is nothing fundamentally wrong
with the partitions.  I am at a lose about what to do because I
can't even get the rescue disk to boot.  Has anyone else ever had
this problem?

P.S.  The problem is not the floppy.  I was able to boot with the
floppy on another computer.

Rob

Robert Bickel, Lecturer
Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering
Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
2-24-16 Nakacho, Koganei-shi, Tokyo 184
Phone:     +81-423-88-7103
FAX:       +81-423-85-7204
Home:      +81-422-42-5615