Swap Used is getting Bigger, BIGGER and B I G G E R!

Does anyone know why the "free" command would report that the swap space
used is growing? A lot? Is there a "swap leak" bug?

For example, no swap is being used immediately after booting the box. This
is good. Then after using various and sundry applications, AND EXITING OUT
OF THEM, the free command reports that their swap space is still being
used!

In fact, the amount of swap space "used" keeps increasing instead of
leveling off. I'm reasonably certain that unless drastic measures are
taken soon, it will probably eat New Jersey. ;-)

It seems to me that swap space isn't being relinquished because the sum of
the individual swap spaces used by each process as reported by the "SWAP"
column of the "ps -auxm" command is less than the total swap space used
which the "free" command reports. It's like some kind of "swap leak".

I've noticed this behavior with both the 2.0.30 and 2.0.32 kernels.

Thanks,
  Kingsley