Re: PS/2 mouse setup; /dev/mouse?

On Sat, Jan 17, 1998 at 01:21:34AM +0100, Pancho Horrillo wrote:

> 	I have read somewhere that it's not adviseable the use of symlinks
> to devices such as modems or mouse ports, due locking conflicts. If a
> process uses and locks /dev/ttyS0, and you have a symlink modem->ttyS0 and
> try to use it, as far as i know, the locking name will be different, so it
> can conflict <correct me if i am wrong, please>.

You're right.
It is due to a too confident algoritm in the FSSTND (and from there
used by all :-).
FYI Debian is trying to get rid of this problem by adopting a device
locking library that is insensitive to symlinks, hardlinks and doubled
devices, that will be used by all programs for 2.1 (some like "dip"
even from now).

Anyway the mouse programs (gpm and X) don't lock the device as they
can share its use. Those arguments apply more to modem lines.

Fabrizio