Re: Updating the kernel

"Martin Jackson" <mjackson@deskmedia.com> writes:

> I was wondering if there was anything special I needed to do to upgrade from
> kernel 2.0.30 to kernel 2.0.32 (or 33 if it's available).  Red Hat requires
> an "rpm --install" to avoid overwriting the old kernel.  Does dpkg require
> this too?  I've made an honest effort to read the documentation.

In brief: install kernel-package and read its documentation.

Either download the latest kernel-source_2.0.32 package from Debian or
download the latest kernel from sunsite or ftp.kernel.org.  (If you
get linux-2.0.33.tar.gz or similar, unpack it in /usr/local/src.)

cd to /usr/src/linux or /usr/local/src/linux, run "make xconfig",
then use kernel-package to make yourself a nice kernel .deb.

	  GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."