Re: Problems with 80386 and 4 MB of RAM

Thanx for your tips, but they didn't help :-(

----------
> Von: Stephen Gregory <gregorse@tuns.ca>
> An: Fabian Knittel <fknittel@sparkasse.net>
> Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Betreff: Re: Problems with 80386 and 4 MB of RAM
> Datum: Samstag, 17. Januar 1998 19:42
>

> > [  1  ]	L I L O
> >
> >   At startup it only says:
> >
> >   3FA:
>
> I had the same problem. Edit /etc/lilo.conf and comment out the
> "compact" line.  BTW this is a bug. How do I report a bug? Lilo.conf
> should have compact off by default. The documentation clearly states
> that compact does not work on all computers.
>

> Edit that compact line and a buch of things should go away

Well at least the 3FA: went away, but it still stops at "LI" !
What else could it be?

> > [  2  ]    N E T W O R K
> >

> when you specify the io address on the command line, do you remember
> to use 0x to indicate hex.

I have to check the address again. I'm not sure what it says in the bios of
this card (for that, I have to start a MSDOS-program).

I'm wondering, why this module doesn't complain if I give it a wrong io
or irq...
Could this message ("loading device 'eth0' ...
/lib/modules/2.0.29/net/eepro.o init_module: Device or resource busy") mean
something else too?

> > [  3  ]    R E S C U E  -  S T A R T U P
> >

> > rescue root=/dev/hda3
> >
> >   it boots normaly (and fast...). Is there a functional difference
between
> >   the two methods or can I use the rescue command with no problems?
> >

> If it works then don't worry about it :-)

Okay, but I still don't know where the two commands differ.

> Just as a note, I would specify atleast a 12MB swap partition. My 386
> only had 4MB ram + 8 MB swap and I ran into problems when running
> dselect. My swap file was full as was my ram and ld.so could not load
> some libc stuff.
>
> It now has 8MB ram and I haven't had any problems to date.

(MB ram would be nice for my computer too...)
Actually, I have 50 MB swap.... :-)
Could there be a problem with too much swap?

- Fabian