Re[2]: Trying to fix a mistake in upgrading Netscape...

Remco Blaakmeer <remco@Cal011205.student.utwente.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Richard E. Hawkins Esq. wrote:

> > I believe that the only version that "netscape" installs is 3.01.  Has
> > this changed?  (not to be confused with the netscape4 installer).

> I just checked. It hasn't.

I'm at a loss to understand why the Debian netscape pkg, or any other
"wrapper," is felt to be necessary. What I've done for many months, through
versions 3.01 to 3.04 of NS, is use the gnumalloc lib mentioned in the FAQ at
the BlackDown site, and the simple script also found there.

I unzip the NS tarball into /usr/local/netscape, and place gnumalloc.so in
/lib. Then in /usr/local/bin I place this little script, called "netscape".

#!/bin/sh
export CLASSPATH="/usr/local/netscape/java_301:."
export LD_PRELOAD="/lib/gnumalloc.so"
exec /usr/local/netscape/netscape "$@"

Works like a charm, AFAIK. No problems with snazzy Java sites.

Any drawbacks to this, anyone?