Re: large drives with linux / LBA

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, rob wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am going to be using linux to set up a small intranet web server/mSQL
> DBserver for a client of mine and have a bit of concern about the system i
> have scoped to use.  they have an old dx-33 with 20mb ram that isn't doing
> anything which should really be fine for what i'm thinking about setting
> up.  (any concerns?) only problem is that it only has a 128MB drive in it
> that i would like to be at least a 540MB.  of course i can't find anything
> smaller than a 1.6GB these days.  Because the motherboard is an old VESA
> thing (as is the IDE controller) I am worried that it's BIOS won't support
> LBA.  if this is the case will it be a problem?  is there something that i
> can do to get around this?  am i going to have to upgrade the motherboard
> to something newer? (and then the video card too because i can't buy
> anything but PCI boards these days)  we are trying to keep cost relatively
> low here. (non-profit organization)
>
> thanks for any suggestions,

Yeah Buy the new drive, whatever size you can find, Install the new hard
drive slaved to the old drive ... in the bios do not tell it that it has a
newer hard drive in it ... use the old drive for swap and put lilo on it
... so the boot drive is the 128 and the root drive in on the new biger
drive.

this is basicly what I have done... it works ...
-k