Re: Mail notification

Tim Thomson wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a number of mail boxes, to handle the different lists I am on.
> I use procmail to filter the mails to the right folders.
>
> I have put:
> MAIL='/var/spool/mail/tim;/home/tim/mail/debian-user;/home/tim/mail/seul-
> project'
> MAILCHECK=10
>
> into my .bash_profile. I have tried the same MAIL variable as MAILPATH but
> this didn't work.

I use xbuffy to do mail notification.  It's a better xbiff-like program.

> Also, how can I have mail that have been cross posted still sorted into
> the correct boxes? At the moment procmail looks at the TO headers, but if
> something is crossposted, all the mails go into the same box. I think I
> need to set something in a different header, but I don't know what it is.

Don't sort on `To'.  When you receive newmail on your spool file, `more'
it and you will see an initial `From' line which you can use with procmail.
Examples:

-----
MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail      #you'd better make sure it exists

:0
* ^From debian-user-request@lists.debian.org
debian

:0
* ^From procmail-request@Informatik.RWTH-Aachen.DE
procmail
:0
* ^From fetchmail-friends-request@ccil.org
fetchmail

:0
* ^From owner-fvwm@hpc.uh.edu
fvwm

:0
* ^From owner-aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
aic7xxx
-----

Or put all mailing lists other than Debian in `mailing':

-----
MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail      #you'd better make sure it exists

:0
* ^From debian-user-request@lists.debian.org
debian

#Majordomo lists
:0:
* ^Sender: owner-\/[-a-zA-Z0-9_.]*
maillists

#SmartList lists
:0:
maillists
-----

--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist             <galbraith@mixing.qc.dfo.ca>
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada