Re: SVGATextMode - thanks for help
- To: Igor Grobman <email@example.com>
- Cc: Irmund Thum <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Debian-Linux Mailing list <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: SVGATextMode - thanks for help
- From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
- Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 01:29:11 +0100
- Message-id: <19980115012911.51258@flora>
- In-reply-to: <199801150006.TAA14979@hmm.nowhere>; from Igor Grobman on Wed, Jan 14, 1998 at 07:06:55PM -0500
- References: <19980115004951.53887@flora> <199801150006.TAA14979@hmm.nowhere>
On Wed, Jan 14, 1998 at 07:06:55PM -0500, Igor Grobman wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 14, 1998 at 04:48:30PM -0500, Igor Grobman wrote:
> > >
> > > > - don't use SVGATextMode if X is started
> > >
> > > Why? works fine here.
> > He's right. X Server looks at the Textmode to save and restore it properly,
> > but only once at startup-time. It then assumes that the mode keeps the same.
> > So it fails to restore it properly if you switched mode in the meantime.
> > Try: stm 100x37; startx; change back to console; stm 80x25; change to X and
> > back to console, you get a skewed screen.
> It always worked fine for me here, and it does now, but the manpage does
> mention that X-server indeed only saves textmode once at startup-time. Maybe
> it only works for some vidcards, or maybe the more likely reason is that I am
> running the latest X-server(3.3.1-2) while bo has 3.3 which is older.
Wait a minute - I have 3.3.1-1, so it has to be the server / graphic card (I
use s3 server for trio64 hercules card).
Nice to hear it works for you ;)
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god." Debian GNU/Linux finger brinkmd@
Marcus Brinkmann http://www.debian.org master.debian.org
Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de for public PGP Key
http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Marcus.Brinkmann/ PGP Key ID 36E7CD09
TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
Trouble? e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org .