Re: Printer name

iquest wrote:
Hi,

  I've purchased a Laser printer and I'd like to know how do I
  know the name of the print that connect to my Debian box.  I
  am able to print files without any problem.  I just like to know
  how printer name was created (if any).

  Thanks!

Timothy C. Phan

 Have a look in /etc/printcap file. If you have only one printer, the first
line of the printer definition entry should look like this:

    <Printer name>[|<Printer alias>|...]\

Now if you have more than one printer, there is there are two possibilities to
define a default printer. The first is to set as printer name or printer alias
the key word lp. The second is to define an environment variable PRINTER
to the default printer name to use.

Of course, if you have only one printer you can know you printer name with
the second method too.

These informations should be exact but I'm not on my Linux box actually.
So if something is not exact, take a look in the lpr manpage.

bye

--

  Cedric Bapst
  bab@es1.siemens.ch