Re: Why /floppy -- why not /mnt/fd or something?

> > why `/dev/fd*'s are mounted at /floppy.

> I think it is a matter of convenience and tradition.

Personally, I use /fd0, /fd1, etc.  The RedHat method (/mnt/floppy) seems
less than useful to me.  The reason for this is that I always use /mnt for
what it's designed for: temporary mounts.

Putting subdirectories underneath /mnt for *standard* mount points seems
ridiculous.  If someone who doesn't know better needs to mount a temporary
device on a system, they mount it on /mnt.  This has the effect of completely
hiding any devices (i.e. the floppy, CD, zip, etc.) from the filesystem.

This is broken enough that the first thing I do when installing RedHat is to
change the fstab and create the appropriate directories.

TTYL,
    Omega

P.S. I use RedHat on all my systems, I admit.  I will be installing Debian in
the near future (as soon as I can get another machine running *with* monitor).

     Erik Walthinsen <omega@seul.org> - SEUL Project system architect
        __
       /  \                SEUL: Simple End-User Linux -
      |    | M E G A            Creating a Linux distribution
      _\  /_                         for the home or office user