Re: Problem dialing in w/AutoPPP/PAP! Help!

Rick Jones <rick@cyberdynamics.com> writes:

> Peter Iannarelli wrote:
> >
> > In pap-secrets I has to adjust the following line.
> >
> > *       *        ""
> >
> This kind of entry would allow everybody access to your system without a
> password.  So Joe down the street who knows a username but doesn't have
> his own account can use any other account he wants.

This is not true.

>From the pap-secrets:

# Dont be disturbed therfore by the fact that this file defines logins with
# any password for users. /etc/passwd will catch passwd mismatches.
#
# This file should block ALL users that should not be able to do AUTO_PPP!
# AUTO_PPP bypasses the usual login program so its necessary to list all
# system userids with regular passwords here!
#
# ATTENTION: The definitions here can allow users to login without a
# password if you dont use the login option of pppd!
# The /etc/ppp/options file installed has the login option enabled

# INBOUND connections

# Every regular user can use PPP and has to use passwords from /etc/passwd

Ciao,
	Martin