Re: Problem dialing in w/AutoPPP/PAP! Help!

On Wed, Jan 14, 1998 at 04:27:26PM -0600, Jeff Noxon wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 1998 at 10:50:09PM +0100, Gergely Madarasz wrote:
> >        login  Use the system password database for authenticating
> >               the peer using PAP, and record the user in the sys-
> >               tem wtmp file.  Note that the  peer  must  have  an
> >               entry  in  the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file as well as
> >               the system password database to be allowed  access.
>
> Thanks, but we're well beyond that point.  Something is going wrong
> with the PAP authentication.

I had this problem; PAP just didn't damn well work. For me, the fix was
to add the following to pap-secrets:

# magic fix

Someone on one of the linux mailing lists suggested it; it seems to be
otherwise undocumented, although certainly not unimportant.

Shadow passwords may also make a difference. I'm not using them here;
I think last time I tried them (on ppp 2.2) I couldn't login with PAP
any more either.

Hamish