Logging question / PPP session termination problem

Briefly:

  Syslogd goes wild when PPP connections terminate,
  "ppp_dev_stats called" appears ad infinitum in logs.  Help?

Details:

A person connects to my Debian machine via modem, using PPP.  When
they kill PPP to disconnect, system messages start being generated at
a rapid rate.  This message gets sent once per minute to the console
(and xterms):

  Message from syslogd@machinename at Wed Jan 14 15:02:09 1998 ...
  machinename

Also, /var/log/messages fills up with:

  Jan 14 15:04:07 beaver 6>Jan 14 15:04:07 kernel: v_stats called<6>
  ppp_dev_stats called<6>ppp_dev_stats called<6>ppp_dev_stats ca...

etc.  Any idea why this happens? or how to stop it?

This is on a Debian 1.3 system with 2.0.32 kernel.

Emails direct to me will be appreciated; I'll summarize to the list as
appropriate.

Thanks.

John