Re: loging into NT

Do you already have a domain controller? If so, you can have samba authenticate
using the NT domain controller. That's what I use here in our office, since all
our client machines (6 Win95, 1 NT wkst) log on to our local domain. You just edit
the smb.conf file and set these options:

   encrypt passwords = true
   password server = <your domain controller>
   security = server

It works like a charm. I know it will be best to have a "one-true authentication
server" but don't despair. Actually, NT 5 (not the beta we have now--it doesn't
include it) is going to replace the current "domain" paradigm entirely. NT is
going to use X.500 directory services for it's user/passwords, domains, etc. As
unbelievable as it is, they are going to replace their current crappy proprietary
system with an actual ISO standard. For this reason if I were on the samba team I
wouldn't even bother. I've never looked for it, but I'll better dollars to dimes
you can download X.500 LDAP software for *nix from an anonymous ftp site right
now. Until then I guess we can just cobble together solutions.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com