RE: XDM,KDM on DEBIAN 1.31

Þann 14-Jan-98 skrifar Herr Detlev Scholz \(ODIS\):
> Dear users,
>
> i m a novice user of debian-Linux. The installation was easy, and
> everythink works well :-).
> Now i installed the KDE-desktop on the box. The KDE is working well,
> when i start with startx. When i try to aktivate XDM or KDM, the
> Xserver starts, asks for login but after login it seems that the
> Xserver crashes and XDM is started again asking for username.
> In the KDE-user-list the problem is reportet few times with
> RedHat-Dist., but without a solution.
> Has debian the same problem or is it my problem because of
> misconfiguration?

  After the login on XDM/KDM it starts a window manager, and it is this window
manager that is probably crashing and causing the display manager to reappear.
Try and edit the first line in /etc/X11/window-managers it is this line that
selects the window manager to run.  Try selecting a different one.