Re: Cloning a Debian system

Here is a quick way I do it.

lets say you put in a spare hard drive at /dev/hdc
make the filesystems you want on /dev/hdc (at least on for the / partition)
and leave room for the swap partition.

now mount your filesystems together off of say /mnt
now 'find / -xdev -print | cpio -p -admuV /mnt'

The -xdev means find wont descend directories on other filesystems.
so if you have /usr on another partition it wont copy it. you'll need to run
'find /usr -xdev -print | cpio -p -admuV /mnt' to copy it. The bonus here
is it also wont copy /mnt... now that would make a mess :)

also note the V in -admuV tells cpio to print one '.' per file copied take
it out if you want.

cd to /mnt/etc/ and fix the fstab file to your new setup and off you go.

This may not be complete instructions but it should take you 99% there.

I probably dont need to say this but:

_always_ be careful doing anything as root and read the man pages
to understand what you are doing.

--Udjat