Libc5 / Libc6

BN> > I want to upgrade one or two of the packages on my system beyond t
BN> distribution. The newer packages are all requiring libc6, but that c
BN> (in DSELECT) with libc5 which is a dependence to a _very_ large numb
BN> programs..... =:|
BN> >
BN> > What should I do? Forget it and wait?

BN> One possibility would be to get the source tar package and make your
BN> debian package from that.  I've tried this a few times without a lot
BN> success, but will persevere (I've read all the debmake documentation
BN> still have a few problems). The other would be to compile and instal
BN> software in a "relatively safe" directory such as /usr/local.

The source is enormous (for a slow FTP link anyway <g>) and I just
haven't the time to fight my way through that. I had enough fun
recompiling the kernel, but it's working now.

I have had one or two scares moving from libc5 -> libc6, but it seems
relatively OK now....

Ian W
Karachi, Pakistan                             email: ianw@cyber.net.pk