Re: configuring sound card

Chris Keathley Keathley <ckeathley@yahoo.com> writes:

> I read the how to's on  how to install my sound card but when I type
> "make config" it is giving me a msg that says something about missing
> target, I can't remember exactly what it said.  What am I doing wrong
> if any thing. Is there a different procedure for debian, and if so
> where can it be found.

Well, remembering exactly what it said would help.  In order to enable
sound support, you need to recompile your kernel.  Install the
packages "libc5-dev", "bin86", "make", "gcc", "kernel-package" and one
of the "kernel-source-*" packages.  Then:
cd /usr/src/linux
make config

Most of the config you can just accept the default values, as I
believe that when you install one of the debian kernel-source
packages, it defaults to the way the stock debian kernel is compiled.
(Of course, you'll want to do something different from the default
once you get to the sound section).