Smail and Fetchmail combo

I feel really stupid for asking this, but I don't know how to proceed
with this thing:
I posted the other day about my problems with new smail package from
hamm on two different problems:
-one was solved by editing /etc/smail/config to get rid of the extra
white space in the script
-the other one (fetchmail refused access to SMTP on my machine) by
editing the /etc/hosts and changing my_box to my_box.my_domain.name (I
still feel embarassed about that one..)

Now, I can finally retrieve my E-mails using fetchmail from the ISP, but
the mail doesn't go into my /var/spool/mail/dnaden mailbox. As a matter
of fact, I still don't know where the heck did that E-mail ended up...
I was under the impression that smail/fetchmail combo doesn't need any
local delivery programs ( I can send an E-mail to myself from root
account for example..)
Can you point me to any READMEs or explain what am I doing wrong?

Thank you

Damir