Re: Help: System time lags CMOS time

Oz Dror <dror@mcione.com> writes:
> My system time lags after the CMOS time. They start as the same
> time, but then through the day the system time lags. By 12 hours it
> is about one hour behind.
>
> This started since I have added a new SCSI-UW disk, I have transfered the
> linux root to the new disk, the old EIDE is still the master boot.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why, and how it can be fixed.
> Do I need to recompile linux on the new hard disk.

Slave your system to a trusted Net host using 'netdate' and then set
your CMOS clock from that using 'hwclock'.  I have a cron job that
does this nightly; you may wish to run it every 3 or 4 hours.  It's
probably due to your SCSI card stealing interrupts that would
otherwise update the clock.  You might be able to configure your SCSI
host adapter to use less interrupts or get a bus mastering adapter.

--Bill.

--
William R Ward          Bay View Consulting   http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/
hermit@bayview.com     1803 Mission St. #339        voicemail +1 408/479-4072