Re: xfree86.config probles

> While running dselect and installing x, it asks me if I want to create
> a config file and I say yes. Then it shoots me into a graphics mode
> which takes a long time to load and then when loaded the config
> screens seem real sluggish and my computer sounds like its going to
> have a hernia.  Is my computer not powerful enuff for x or am I doing
> something wrong. I have a 486 w/ 4M of ram but I have created 32M of
> swap space on my hard drive. Is this bad?  I think it could also maybe
> be because I have my cd rom drive on the same controller as my hard
> drive. Please help.

It is not a bearable option to run X-windows with 4MB ram.  It might
work, but will be way too slow.  If you could add another 4MB to get 8MB
it would work fine if you take care not to run big memory eating apps.
There is nothing inherently bad about using 32 MB of swap with your
configuration, except perhaps that you have to exercise a superhuman
level of patience if it is necessary to run X.

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032