Why use pgp?

Hi,
I've installed pgp-i, to see what it's about. I've noticed many people
have pgp signatures in their messages, and some offer the signature via
finger.

I know why you would want to use it to send encrypted messages, but why do
you want to sign your messages?
I read that it's so you know what you are reading is from the right
person, but do that many people want to know that the message they are
reading is from who they say they are? Commercial users sure : they need
to know they aren't reading messages from the competition, but why us in a
mailing-list?

I'm perfectly happy setting up pgp and pine-pgp on my system, I just
wanted to ask if it's worth it, as I'm only going to be posting to here,
my friends, most of whom won't have pgp installed, and the odd newsgroup.

Thank for any help,

Tim

---
Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?
http://www.debian.org