What about a "Linux" key?

Hello PC users!

What about putting a penguin sticker on top of those "Window 95" keys on all new keyboards ?

They could come handy as new modifiers, for example to switch virtual consoles, leaving Alt free and providing a good alternative for Ctrl-alt(gr)-Fn in X and DosEmu; more, one could use them to control X window managers leaving usual keys for applications (e.g. Alt-Tab used by Midnight Commander is usually bound to some sort of cycling through windows), and we could use a single-key compose.

Their scancodes are already seen by Linux, but I could not find any way to bind them to a modifier (it seems there are no extra modifiers to use). Also, I'm not good enough to fiddle with xmodmap. Anyway I have been successfull in binding the menu-like thing to compose: "echo keycode 127 = Compose | loadkeys".

Is there a way to have a new modifier or we need to hack kernel? How is Linux doing on a Sun, since they have plenty of extra keys and modifiers?

Maybe we could build a new keyboard mapping table?

                              Bye, Enrico