Re: Netscape helpers, or replacing /bin/sh

[Summary - Netscape fails when launching helper apps under bash 2.0
because of a bug handling nested parens.]

Daniel wrote:
> This is a known bash bug, and bash 2.01 fixes it.  I have a bash 2.01
> compiled for my bo system - if anyone wants it, it's available in:
> http://www.math.jhu.edu/~martind/bash/ along with libreadline, etc. -
> unfortunately (because, IMHO, the admins of this web server are being
> annoyingly paranoid in their server configuration) all of the debian
> files have the extension .deb.bin instead of .deb - this is to keep
> the server from sending them as type text/plain.  (Hopefully this
> won't confuse anyone)

I got the files and installed them, and it does indeed fix the
problem. One unintended consequence is that the new libreadline breaks
ncftp, which wants the older one. I can live with this, until I manage
to rebuild ncftp.

- Jim