PPP not finsihing connection for Earthlink

I have Debian Linux 1.3, and I have set up ppp to the best of my
abilities, however when I logon Earthlink Networks accepts my username
and password and the debug says that the connection is beginning:

ppp0 ---> ttyS1

However, I get the LCP problem where they are being sent but not
received.  I put LCP-MAX-CONFIGURE 30 in my options file and have
upped it all the way to 150, but I still don't get any LCP's received.
 Finally after 30 - 60 seconds the modem simply hangs up...

Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks,
Bill Vinson <bvinson@rocketmail.com>