Root can't use serial devices

I am having weird problems with serial devices on my system.  The main
symptom is that root is unable to use the serial devices.  User blp
(me) can use the serial devices--kermit, minicom, mserver all work
when run as blp--but root cannot.  The one exception to this is pppd,
which only works when run as root, but this might be related to the
permissions on /etc/ppp and /etc/chatscripts.

/dev/ttyS0 is set up as follows:

crw-rw----   1 root     dialout    4,  64 Jan  7 12:49 /dev/ttyS0

User blp is a member of group `dialout'.  Root is not, but why should
this matter?

Anybody have advice?  This is very frustrating because it means I have
to run mserver as user blp, which doesn't make sense at all.