Re: 'math error' on irq 13?

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Britton wrote:

> While trying (and failing) to get my no-name (well KTI networks)
> PnP PCI Ethernet card to work, I noticed this:
>
> $ cat interrupts
>  0:   87414006   timer
>  1:     799266   keyboard
>  2:          0   cascade
>  3:    6901359 + serial
>  4:     462426 + serial
>  5:      16194   sound blaster
>  8:          0 + rtc
> 13:          1   math error
> 14:     340701 + ide0
>
> Things don't look right on IRQ 13.  Anyone know what would tend to cause
> this type of error?
It doesn't mean, that there is something wrong with your motherboard. It
just means that IRQ13 is activated when numerical errors occures in the
FPU. (I don't know why it is done in this way, while it is possible to
generate an exception by FPU. Probably it is due to compatibility with old
Intel processors (286 and lower ?) where such exceptions didn't exist)
Anyway this one interrupt line is wasted and it's associated with PC
architecture.

					Wojtek Zabolotny
					wzab@ipe.pw.edu.pl