Re: "86open" conformance of debian

On Tue, Jan 06, 1998 at 09:35:16PM -0500, Milan Zimmermann wrote:
> I am sorry if this is off-topic for this list, but I was wondering if
> Debian is already conforming to the "86open" initiative.

The 86open initative (http://www.telly.org/86open/) has not released specs
yet AFAIK. Given that one of it's initiators was the then Debian Project
Leader (Bruce Perens), that it was announced on debian-announce
(http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-announce-97/msg00028.html) and
that the reference implementation will be glibc2 based (glibc2 is the libc
the next Debian release will use, libc6), you can expect that Debian will
conform to the 86open initiative's specs fairly soon after the specs are
made public.

> (what library/libraries are being changed for the conformance?)

See http://www.telly.org/86open/86open-faq.html: the 86open initiative is an
initiative to standardise the C library API.

HTH,
Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch