Re: ppp and ip-up

Hamish Moffatt writes:
> Does ppp run the ip-up and ip-down scripts for incoming connections as
> well as outgoing?

I can't see how it can do otherwise.  The last thing that ipcp_up() does
after successfully configuring the interface is call ipcp_script(). It just
passes pppd's arguments to /etc/ppp/ip-up and runs it.

> I understand that $2 could include /dev/ as well,...

The tty-device is passed to ip-up exactly as received by pppd (this is a
bug, IMHO).  Use basename to scrape off the '/dev/'.

> Or is ip-up not run at all for incoming connections?

PPP is a peer to peer protocol.  Once the serial link is up there is no
incoming or outgoing.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)