Re: Help: System time lags CMOS time

On Mon, Jan 05, 1998 at 08:08:40PM -0800, Oz Dror wrote:
> My system time lags after the CMOS time. They start as the same time, but then
> through the day the system time lags. By 12 hours it is about one hour behind.
>
> This started since I have added a new SCSI-UW disk, I have transfered the
> linux root to the new disk, the old EIDE is still the master boot.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why, and how it can be fixed.
> Do I need to recompile linux on the new hard disk.

If I understand correctly, you lose time if interrupts are
disabled a lot; time on the system clock is lost if the hardware
timer interrupt can't be processed by the kernel.

So for whatever reason you must be getting a lot of interrupts
with your new controller, or the servicing time is high, or both.
Perhaps you can arrange to have more sectors transferred
at one time to lower the interrupt rate. irqtune might
also help although I'm not sure.

An hour is a bit concerning. I would expect to lose a few
minutes in a week this way; I do here.

Hamish