HELP: Network is unreachable

I am very new to Deian, just installed 1.3.1, and am trying to connect to
the Net (I am a single user). My ISP provider (Sprint Canada) uses PAP, but
I succeeded in getting EzPPP to connect following the instr. in the
paackage. After connection is made, I try

              ping 142.104.7.11 (an address known to me)
and get
              ping: sendto: Network is unreachable

Same with ftp and lynx. With

              Ping www.sprint.ca (my ISP)
I get
             ping: unknown host

The settings in EzPPPlook ok, as do the entries in /etc/hosts,
/etc/resolv.conf, as specified by Dale Sheetz manual. Could anyone help a
frustrated newbie. Thanks very much.

Albert Hurd