Re: Linux article in Sunworl

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Nice, although the "Linux is not Solaris" theme came through a bit strong.
> Also, I don't remember there being a Pentium _II_ bug, as the article
> mentioned. Caldera, Redhat and (ugh) Slackware all got a mention,
> but Debian didn't, despite mention of the space shuttle.

I used the feedback form at the bottom of the article to "educate" the
author.  You might find it interesting that Slackware has fallen from the
#1 distribution in use to #3 judging solely from my non-professional
impression from various newsgroup postings and other indicators. It
appears that a lot of Slackware systems are being "upgraded" to other
distributions including Red Hat, Debian, SUsE, and Caldera.  Not sure
where Yggdrasil falls, it is very difficult to find clear evidance of
Yggdrasil systems on the net.

> I thought it was funny that the article expanded the acronym GNU.
> >From what I hear from the (very few) Solaris people I know, GNU is
> the first thing you have to install after Solaris itself :-)

Hehe, Yeah, I usually go to Sunsite and grab the GNUzip package for
Solaris so I can have gzip. The GNUlibc, GNUmake, and GNUgcc packages are
often right behind them.

George Bonser
Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?
http://www.debian.org