Why does bash follow symlinks only sometimes?

My root partition is just 100 MB or so, just enough to host my 13 GB
RAID-0 array of 3 UW SCSI disks, which is mounted at /raid.  /usr,
/home, and so on are symlinks into /raid, like this:

drwxr-xr-x bin
drwxrwsr-x boot
drwxrwsr-x cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx debian -> mirror/debian/hamm/hamm/binary
drwxr-xr-x dev
drwxr-xr-x etc
drwxrwsr-x floppy
lrwxrwxrwx home -> raid/home
drwxr-xr-x initrd
drwxr-xr-x lib
drwxr-xr-x lost+found
lrwxrwxrwx mirror -> raid/mirror
drwxr-xr-x mnt
dr-xr-xr-x proc
drwxr-xr-x raid
lrwxrwxrwx root -> raid/root
drwxr-xr-x sbin
drwxr-xr-x syjet
lrwxrwxrwx tmp -> raid/tmp
lrwxrwxrwx usr -> raid/usr
lrwxrwxrwx var -> raid/var
lrwxrwxrwx vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.0.32
lrwxrwxrwx vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.0.31

(Some columns omitted for legibility on 80-column displays.)

My question is, why does bash always show this prompt when I initially
log in:
    blp:/raid/home/blp$
But when I type `cd', it does this:
    blp:/raid/home/blp$ cd
    blp:~$
Correspondingly, `cd /home/blp' displays the prompt correctly as well:
    blp:~$ cd /home/blp
    blp:~$
But `cd /raid/home/blp' goes back to the full directory name again:
    blp:~$ cd /raid/home/blp
    blp:/raid/home/blp$
Is there a way to make bash act a little more consistently in this
situation?
--
Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> <blp@gnu.org> <pfaffben@debian.org>