Re: assigning file systems to partitions

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Douglas Potter wrote:

> I know how to make partitions with cfdisk, but where in the
> installation process do I assign a file system to a partition?
>
> For example, suppose I want to put /, /root, /usr, /var on four
> separate partitions and the rest of LINUX on a fifth partition.
> Where and how do I tell LINUX to do this??

Once you have created all of the partitions you will need (you get to
decide here), through option B off of the main installation menu, your
next offered choice will be to initialize and activate a swap partition
(option C), and eventually you will be offered option F, Initialize a
Linux partition. Within this option you will choose the first partition
(for /) and when it has had a file system created (ext2) you will be
offered the chance to initialize another partition. At each partition
initialization you are offered a mount point for that partitions (usually
the first choice is for /)

In general the installation process will "lead" you through the proper
"next" actions taking things in the proper order to develop the
installation in successful fashion. Alternative options are usually all
that is needed to weave you way through the installation. Under special
circumstances there are good reasons to skip around the menu. All options
are available at any time.

Luck,

Dwarf