Re: SB AWE 64 versus Soft. Syns. for making midi... Also, midi keybo

> > I figure that maybe I can spend the money on a midi-compatable
> > keyboard instead. Anyone with exp. on using one of those under
> > Linux? I saw a keyboard for about $170 at Electronic Boutique, which
> > was basically one devoted to Midi, without any samples built in. That
> > seems to be the cheapest I can find which lets you connect it to a
> > computer....?
>
> If you want to be really cool, buy a keyboard with weighted keys (feeling
> like a piano). Takes about $1000 :(. Seek a Keyboard with big keys (not the
> baby ones), and with touch sensitive keys. A pedal is nice, as are
> modulation and pitch bend function. You don't need any samples or demo songs
> (burb), but a midi connection. Good keyboards have midi anyway.

When I talked to my local dealer (which apparently is the only way Roland
sells things?) they said $1500 for weighted key model.  Of course it had
tons of sounds and other functions (many of which I wouldn't really know
how to do in software).  Can you even get weighted keys without all this
extra stuff?  What model was it you saw that went for only $1000?  It
seems the like to reserve this feature for their expensive models, which I
think at this point is a remarkably bad strategy.  Mayby it's time for a
new manufacturer to enter the scene.

The Roland PC-200 mkII is a pretty good MIDI keyboard for use with
computers.  It has bend/modulate, velocity sensitive keys, a connection
for a pedal, and some other functions.  The bad thing is it's keys are
compact and not weighted.  If you arn't a pianist, spending ~$800 more for
full size weighted keys might not be worth it.

> Marcus
> who also seeks a cheap midi keyboard :)

I get the feeling this could be a tough search.  Let me know if you see
anything that looks good.