[OFF TOPIC] access controlled website

Since the web has become so annoying in the past year I have strayed away
from using it as much as possible, however now I need/would like to set up
a website that is username/password protected on my Debian Linux(so it is
somewhat related) machine.

Does anyone know of any software, information, or resources relating to
this?  I would much appreciate any help as my web searches have brought me
no help (one of the reasons I dislike the web).  Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Dennis

 --
dpk <dpk@egr.msu.edu>, Systems/Network         |  work: 353.4844
Division of Enginnering Computing Services     |  page: 222.5875