root and .rhosts file (again)

Hi

Thanks for all the answers I got to my original message. I'm afraid you
all misunderstood my question, though.

I am not interested in allowing remote root logins to my machine. Only rsh
and friends (like rcp). To illustrate, this is a transcript from a short
session from our primary server (the one requiring rsh access to the
debian hosts):

To the machine working correctly:
|-------------------------------------
| # rsh deb1 date
| Thu Sep 11 15:12:48 MET DST 1997
|
| # rlogin deb1
| root login refused on this terminal.
|
| deb1 login:
|-------------------------------------

To the debian 1.3.1 machine:
|-------------------------------------
| # rsh deb2 date
| Permission denied.
|
| # rlogin deb2
| Password:

Both machines have the same entry in root's .rhosts file, and 'deb1'
also fails if that entry is removed.

Regards,
Jeppe Buk, student of computer science           Phone:   +45 6557 2347
IMADA, Odense University                         Email: buk@imada.ou.dk
Campusvej 55                          WWW: http://www.imada.ou.dk/~buk/
DK-5230 Odense M, Denmark       SMS (subject only): 20422557@sms.tdm.dk