Xemacs and cperl-mode

I have recently been trying to edit some perl scripts using xemacs, so
I tried using the cperl-mode instead of perl-mode.  I set the autoload
and auto-mode-alist as recommended in the cperl-mode.el file and then
re-started xemacs.  It appears that I still get perl-mode, but I am
not sure how to tell which I am actually using.  I tried printing out
some of the values of the variables mentioned in the cperl-mode file,
but none of them are present.  On the other hand I can print out the
perl-mode variables mentioned in the perl-mode file.  I am running the
xemacs package 19.14-1 from the stable tree of Debian 1.3.1.

The following are the relevant lines from my ~/.emacs file:

(autoload 'perl-mode "cperl-mode" "alternate mode for editing Perl programs" t)
(setq cperl-hairy t)
(setq auto-mode-alist
        (append '(("\\.[pP][Llm]$" . perl-mode))  auto-mode-alist ))
(setq interpreter-mode-alist (append interpreter-mode-alist
        '(("miniperl" . perl-mode))))

I would appreciate any tips on what I am doing wrong, and how to get
to cperl-mode.
--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org