Re: Long FAT filenames and Linux ?

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Michael Legart wrote:

> > You probably also have msdos fs support which is operating by default.
> > Have you tried specifying the vfat type in your mount command?
>
> Yea, I did have msdos fs support, but I disabled that - compiled and
> installed the kernel again. But it still doesn't work ! I have
> selected vfat fs support in the configuration. I have a 2.0.30
> kernel. If I write mount -t vfat ... I just get the error-message,
> that the kernel doesn't support vfat! Is there a way to see which
> options the kernel is compiled with ?

I'm suspecting that there is something incomplete in your kernel
preparation.  If you are compiling vfat support as a module, you should
enable loadable module support, and you should uncomment "AUTO" in your
/etc/modules file.  Also, you must be sure to make and install the modules
in addition to your kernel image.  If you compile your kernel "by hand"
like me, you would do the following:

	make xconfig
	make dep ; make clean
	make zImage
	make modules
	make modules_install

Also, as someone suggested, I would enable both msdos and vfat fs support
in your kernel.

Good Luck.  Syrus.