Re: read-only root and usr partitions

It's best for now to mount root for write and /usr read-only. Under
normal operations I think the files in /etc are only written at
system start-up and shut-down (and during backups) and it might be
possible to have root read-only at other times. The _dates_ in /dev
are changed but the actual files are not except for the case of named
pipes or unix-domain sockets that are created there by some daemons
(lpd?). I think that stuff belongs in /tmp, not /dev.

I think it's desirable to be able to run with a read-only root, especially
since we are so close to being able to do it now, but it's not my highest
priority. I'd be interested in seeing others work on it.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html