Status of wide character support in Linux

I'm curious if anyone knows the status of wide character support under
Linux, and under gcc/g++ in particular.

I know its coming, but I hope for a 2, 5, or 10 year availbility
estimate, and a remark on 'whatz happening.'

David

David B Teague | Ask me how user interface copyrights & software patents
teague@wcu.edu | make programing a dangerous business.

spy counter-intelligence wild porno sex gold bullion Soviet Bosnia clipper
Mossad data encryption munitions Serbian hydrazine ammonium nitrate fuel oil