Problems with X-programs

Hi

Got my new machine (orca) and started to migrate programs from the old (dolphin). So far I've run into two problems - maybe unrelated - but both has to du with
X.

1: ncview is a very nice utility to browse netcdf-files (cirrus.ucsd.edu:/pub/ncview). I'm able to compile, although I've to do a little with the Makefile produced by xmkmf (Xaw header files not found). When I try to run ncview I get to see a glimse of the main menu and then the following is written:

X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
  Serial number of failed request:  169

If I move the executable to dolphin then it works and if I take the executable from dolphin and moves to orca I get the same error.

2: I have a demo version of IDL. It is installed on orca. If I type idl and then demo at the prompt I get:

IDL> demo
% Embedded IDL: Research Systems, Inc., IDL Demo.
% Restored file: DEMO.
% Unsupported X Windows visual (class: PseudoColor, depth: 8).
  Substituting default (class: TrueColor, Depth: 16).
% Array has a corrupted descriptor: <No  name>.
% Execution halted at:  DEMOSPLASHSTART
%                       DEMO
%                       $MAIN$
IDL> Segmentation fault

If I do the same on dolphin which have /usr/local mounted from orca I can run the demo.

Any help will be apreciated.

Karsten

PS: I found the following on the XFree86 FAQ:
Q.E5- Why does the server quit with the error xf86OpenConsole: cannot
open /dev/console on Linux?

There is a problem with the /dev/console device file. As root, you can run these commands to fix
it:

    cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV console

It might solve some of the troubles people have hat with this, at least it did for me.