problems with "makedepend" and ctype.h

whenever I try to "makedepend" on a file that #includes <ctype.h> I get
the follow (very strange) error message:

makedepend: warning:  basechar.cxx: 13: # error architecture not supported
by the Linux C library

Huh?

Has anyone else seen this? How can I solve this problem?

I'm running Debian 1.3.1, with libc5(-dev) 5.4.33-3

please cc to me any responses from the list, as I've had to
remove myself from it temporarily..

thanks for any help
Chris

Chris R. Martin         email: crmartin@tamu.edu
Computer Engineering    web: http://http.tamu.edu/~crm7479/
Texas A&M University    "... I'm a 21st century digital boy, I don't know
                         how to read but I've got a lot of toys."
                                      -- Bad Relgion