exim - smail - sendmail: my experience.

I regard myself still as a newby as far as linux is concerned.  I have
been using smail for about a year now.

After receiving a cd with Debian 1.3.1 on it, I decided to try out the
exim as well.  I have read somewhere that it is faster and easier to
configure than the others.  Not for me. I could not get it working
properly.  The configuration script looks like smail's.  The same answers,
however, does not have the same effect.  So I removed exim again.  I think
I have tried it out about 5 or 6 times now without success.

I then tried out sendmail and was impressed by the configuration script.
When I tried to send mail, however, it seemed to take ages to receive mail
from pine.  I supposes that I did something wrong in the configuration
process.  Manual configuration looks very complicated, so I removed
sendmail again.

Now I am working with smail again...

Johann.

Johann Spies