Re: SCSI Host Adapter (+ Re: 2 CPU servers)

     BusLogic supports free software and is well supported under Linux?
Very well. Probably I'll have one customer of mine buy new machines very
soon, they will buy what I say. (Maybe me too - going to buy a new
harddisk - will replace my Adaptec 2940 with a BusLogic instead of a
2940UW or 3940W or anything else from Adaptec.)

> > Even the "low-end" BusLogic cards are pretty good.  They just lack an onboard
> > CPU to process SCSI requests.  But thanks to BusLogic, the SCSI manager code
> > was GPL'd and is integrated into the Linux driver.

     There was mention of a specific model, Buslogic BT-948: is it such a
"low-end" card or one with that CPU onboard?
     Better question: what do you think is a medium-high level BusLogic
card with good price/performance ratio and - most important - well
performing (reliable and fast) with Debian GNU/Linux?
     And what about 2 CPU usage? I read on this list recently that the
kernel is getting mature for Linux with such motherboards:

    > Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 11:50:02 -0700
    > From: Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org>
    > Subject: Re: 2 CPU servers
    >
    > [snip]
    > 2.0.31-pre7 seems to be working ok (no deadlocks).
    > 2.0.30 or 2.0.29 with the deadlock-patch 6 works fine too.
    > [snip]

     Nicola Bernardelli <nbern@mail.protos.it>
messages will return even when I'm not at home.