Re: Date in mail headers

I STRONGLY disagree.  I want to know when you wrote it ... not when it
arrived here.  If a mail was delayed a day or two in route, it might
completely change how I look at the information in the email.  Example, a
put-down of Princess Diana might be viewed in poor taste if it arrives
after she died but might be perfectly acceptable expression of opinion if
authored three days earlier and delayed in route.

On 8859 xxx 2001, Orn E. Hansen wrote:

> On 03-Sep-97 Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> >
> >Hm, interesting thought.. Right now it does sort by the Date: line which
> >is quite nice, it puts all the messages in thread order, unless people
> >have mis-set clocks ;> Sorting by the recived line would likely be the
> >same as not sorting at all though.
> >

>   I am using XF-Mail, except that I compiled it myself... with locales on.  The
> date line that is created is normal.  The standard states, that if there
> are non us-ascii characters in header lines, they should be quoted printables.
>
>   The 'date' line is also created by the end users program... and not by the
> system.  But the 'Received line is the stamp the system gives.  It should
> thus make more sense to parse the 'Received' line to decypher the date,
> rather than the date line.  The first 'Received' line in the chain, should
> also give the same date.
>

> ...just me
>

> --

George Bonser
Debian/GNU Linux  See http://www.debian.org
Linux ... It isn't just for breakfast anymore!